1. It's not just social media that I am "addicted" to, it is the use of technology. I am learning that being on the computer in general has become a huge time filler in my life. I seem to naturally go to the computer when I am feeling bored or need a break. I think I checked news outlets and weather links 4-5 times each the first few days, just for something to look up! A week in and I am beginning to use my time more wisely.
2. I am learning (again) that it is not about me. A wise woman shared with a group of us how observing Lent is not about the giving up for Jesus, it is about recognizing His giving it all for us so that there is no more need for sacrifice. I am learning to adjust my thinking. The first day in I accidentally found myself at facebook (no really, it was an accident! I was following a link and suddenly I was there!) And what might have been a "what is wrong with me?" response in the past, became a "this is why I need you, Lord. I cannot even keep 'the law' for one day in my own strength. Thank you." This is why I wanted to observe this season of Lent. To refocus and see my life thru new eyes.
3. Life gets busier the more you want it to slow down. In the midst of this first week, the week I had hoped to spend in prayer and conversation with the Lord, life got super busy. One child was home for 2 days sick (this would be the child who loves constant companionship), we had a birthday on Wednesday and the epic party on Saturday, and a great visit with a beloved family member thru Sunday. There simply wasn't a bit of "extra" time. Life was crazy. But in the midst of it all I was able to maintain a sense of peace. I believe this was because my thoughts stayed on God. It was by praying throughout the day in the little moments that I maintained that focus on Him. I think we often forget that He is in it with us. He is doing this life with us, always there. And all of our moments matter to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment