Sunday, September 6, 2015

A Name

This weekend I attended a wonderful Intensive Study at Grace Snellville! We learned so much about how our life stories and our giftings can come together and help us realize our full potential in God's kingdom. We spent time learning about our how our names (either given at birth, or given by others) impact our character as well. So out of curiosity I just had to do a little research.

We had chosen the names of the girls purposefully:
Lux (light) Sophia (wisdom), and Zaine (God is gracious) Olivia (peace)

but we had never really looked into our own names. After checking a few sites I narrowed down the meaning of Kendra to "knowledge." This seemed fitting, as I do love to learn, to solve, and to teach. Now not every name's definition fits the person, but it is interesting that often times it does. And of course it has nothing to do with our faith or salvation or anything else, other than being an interesting study. But I do believe that its been proven, if you call someone something long enough, they begin to make that their identity. Lux has always been the life of the party, and her faith in God is firm and she is not ashamed of it. She is also beginning to make some wise decisions when it comes to friends and life experiences. She is a "light" to our family and to others, and she is growing in wisdom. Zaine was conceived after a miscarriage and so we loved that her name would be "God is gracious." And she is the ultimate peacemaker in our family. If ever there is a disagreement she is determined to bring it to an end. She is still learning just how to best accomplish that peace, but it is an integral part of who she is. There is definitely something to our names.

After finding that Kendra means "knowledge" I decided to look into my middle name, Michelle. When I discovered the meaning I was deeply moved. Michelle is a Hebrew name that means "Who is like God?" How amazing! Because who, but God, could have taken me from my past to where I am today? Who is like God? There is none like Him. Learning this, and that it is a Hebrew name, caused me to draw even closer to Him, in a new way. It is as though I learned more deeply who I am. And when I examine my life and I see in each chapter how He was there, working it all for good, I can only say, again and again, "Who is like God?"

But it didnt stop there, you guys. Of course I had to look into the meanings of Nate's names. And it was there that I truly knew God has been with me all along on this journey. For when I researched the name Nathan, I found it meant "Gift of God." Gift of God? O.M.G.G. (oh my goodness gracious.) The Lord has given me a gift in Nathan. And as for his middle name, William? It means "protector." He is, and has always been, a gift and my protector. His protection of me is a gift from God. You guys. God has given me what I have longed for. And though I have known this and loved Nate all of these years for his goodness and faithfulness to me, learning this has made all the difference in my walk with God and my relationship with my husband. It is clear to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that God knows me. That He loves me. That He is the greatest Father, who loves His children more than we know. And I am confident that Nate is a gift from God to me. And I will cherish this gift knowing that it is God who picked him just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment