Wednesday, February 22, 2012

You Say Cicada, I Say Secada

A cicada aka "big noisy bug that flies."
Oh my goodness...if you are not already checking out "Stuff Christians Like" on a regular basis well, you will get a hefty dose of it here.  Because I found a funny little ditty that, being a woman from the Northwest, had me cracking up.  The post was about Cicadas, and having not grown up with them I, like Jon Acuff, had no clue what people were talking about when I made the move South.  The only cicada I had ever heard of was Jon Secada, and obviously this guy would be terribly insulted to be compared to bugs that, according to wikipedia:
a) "...have large eyes wide apart on the head and usually transparent, well-veined wings"
b)"...may mistake a person's arm or other part of their body for a tree or plant limb and attempt to feed" which "can be painful if they attempt to pierce a person's skin with it, but it is unlikely to cause other harm."
c) "...is technically loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss in humans, should the cicada sing just outside the listener's ear
d) "...are also among the few insects known to cool themselves by sweating."

However, I found this note somewhat fitting:
"A number of species also have a courtship song, which is often a quieter call and is produced after a female has been drawn by the calling song." Hmmm, sounds like Mr. Secada and Mr. Cicada both have a way with the ladies...but I digress.

Once again, without further ado, I present to you a post from one of my favorite bloggers, Jon Acuff, titled:

"Referencing the plague of locusts whenever two or more bugs are gathered in the same place."

No comments:

Post a Comment