Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Climbed a Tree

This weekend was beautiful! We spent a whole lotta time outside enjoying the weather, the girls on the trampoline, Nate keeping them busy with jumping games, and me surveying the land.  Yes, I love to check the flower beds for growth in this crazy warm, Spring-like, January weather. I love to push back the jungle of foliage that attacks us from the woods behind and beside our home.  I love to manicure the trees and bushes watching for signs of new blooms.  I love being outside *(in nice weather.)

So as we were enjoying our time outdoors this weekend I got busy breaking off old, dead branches and carting them off to the woods.  But some of those old branches were higher than I could reach, and, let's face it, my "jump and grab" isnt what it used to be. So I climbed into the tree.

I say this like it's big news because truthfully, it is! I used to do this kind of thing all of the time. I was known for my agility.  But running and jumping and climbing and cartwheeling have become a sort of thing of the past.  It doesnt feel like it used to.  I pull muscles. My neck hurts. I feel less steady. I dont want to. Im almost 40.

And there you have it.  The thought that provoked me to go for it. Yes, I am almost 40, and what am I going to do about it? Im going to climb while I still can! I stood on the rail of the deck and reached out for the closest (strongest:) limb in front of me.  And I climbed into that tree using muscles I obviously, from the feel of it, hadnt used in years. I pulled down all the broken down, useless limbs that were hindering the growth of new buds on that tree and I felt alive! Like I was shaking off the normalcy of life and going for something new! It felt good! I enjoyed the hard work of it! And Im sure the neighbors got a good laugh out of it too!

To capture the moment I found a good spot to lean back and take a photo. I wanted to be sure to remember the event and the feeling I had climbing that tree. And to remember the joy of breaking off the things hindering new growth.  I want to keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment