Thursday, February 2, 2012

Washing dishes and other menial tasks...

The other day I stood at the kitchen sink washing dishes for the umpteenth time while my children ran and giggled around me and my husband was on the couch relaxing after a hard day at work.  No one was doing anything wrong.  No one was leaving me chores that were not already mine to do.  But I felt tired. And alone. And irritated.

I dont have the most difficult job in the world.  My days are spent problem solving, cleaning, cooking, and assisting others. I am the helpmate. The one the other members of my family go to first for answers on any number of things from belly aches to locating a flashlight, answering math problems to changing the toilet paper dispenser.  And sometimes I get discouraged and feel as though my whole life revolves around keeping other people's lives in working order.  Sometimes I feel like I am watching life from the sidelines.

It was then, on that typical night of washing dishes, that I remembered that the God I love also goes by the Name El-Roi, "The God Who Sees." And I looked out the kitchen window into the night and whispered, "Thank you, God, that right now You see me."

2 comments: