I have a husband who thinks big. Really big. In fact he often thinks so outside the box that I literally have to grab the box, run after him, and try to box back up his thinking. We have often joked that this world obviously needs big dreamers, like him, to expand our horizons and accomplish what was thought impossible. And then we also need realists, like me, to grab hold of the dreamers' ankles, pop their dream balloon, and bring them back down to earth.
Just for fun I thought I might share a few of his "big ideas" over the years. Many of these ideas drew me closer to God through much prayer and petition that they might not come to fruition. And just to be clear, Im not exaggerating. :)
One of the most interesting trips I ever took as the wife of a dreamer was when we decided it was time to put our house for sale and move to a more family friendly area. I was so looking forward to living a hop skip and a jump from the grocery store, Walmart, Target, and church. I began dreaming of our new home, with a great backyard for the kids to run and play. Maybe even a basement! And so Nate began the search. And search he did! He spent hours looking for the perfect place that was affordable, yet private, and had that certain style he loves. So when we sat down to discuss some of the options, this is what he presented me with: a train car home.
(There are more photos here)
Now dont get me wrong, I like quirky. I dont mind being a little different from the norm. And I actually do think this train car looks beautiful. But imagine my shock when I sat down thinking we were taking a look at regular, already built, standard homes in a good school district....! And he didnt just come with one photo. No, he had examined the pricing, looked for lots that were for sale that could sustain the train car style of living, priced them, and even had a few picked out. I wish I had that conversation on tape to play back for you because I can only imagine what was said! But this is not the only occasion I have been surprised by a husband who marches to the beat of his own drum. Not by far. :)
One of my first moments of realization that life with Nate would not be simple and ordinary came just after our engagement. Nate decided he needed a new car. His old jeep-type vehicle had a lot of miles on it and was in need of repair, so why not start our marriage out with something new? Something with low miles. That could hold a future family. And fit his unique desires for a car. He wanted to make one last purchase on his own before getting hitched, so he started the search. And settled on this:
a black, 1965 Lincoln Continental with suicide doors. Like this one here, but without the fancy wheels. And I get it. It is a beautiful car. It was all Nate, and fit him to a T. But it was not at all what I'd had in mind as our family car...:o Yes, the car was roomy, and yes, affordable. But boy was it a beast to park in our tiny uphill driveway! And it was not the most practical car to run around in, what with a top speed of 50mph and windows that didn't roll down. But he sure loved it.
Oh my sweet husband, I must say that initially these kinds of impractical desires scared me to death! I really did wonder at times, what would be next! But over the years I have learned that not every dream has a crazy result in the end. And some dreams are worth pursuing. And I think Nate has learned that too. His dreams allow me to experience life with feet off the ground, and my practical thinking keeps him from flying too high. :)


well to be clear it wasnt a home built from a train car. It was home built from repurposed storage crates. But I think maybe that wouldve made your point even clearer. Thanks for not leaving me during my crazy idea times.
ReplyDeleteoh and yes I had 3d model of what I wanted to build already designed. It was a masterpiece.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. so much.
ReplyDelete