Wednesday, March 21, 2012

These Are A Few of My Favorite Fears...

5. I am irrationally afraid of a bee or some sort of bug flying or crawling into my ear(s). I think this fear may have come from stories my mom would bring home from work when I was a kid.  She worked for an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor and Im telling you people...it happens...and more often than you think. Keep the covers pulled up at night.

4. Food poisoning.  I had food poisoning once as a kid and it was so awful I have never recovered from the trauma of it.  If I am even remotely suspicious of a food I cant eat it.  If I get a funny feeling just by looking at it, it's over. 

3. Doctor's offices.  Oh the germs.  I am like a crazy mom when I take my kids to the doctor.  All of the sickness and sneezes and strep and whatever else we take our kids to the doctor's office for.  No thank you.

2. Sugar drinks.  I know this sounds ridiculous coming from a person who loves candy and ice cream, but for some reason I draw the line at sugar drinks.  I have no problem with Little Debbie's or popcicles or even fruit snacks, but I cringe when my kids have a soda.  No idea why. 

1. Weather.  Tornadoes, hurricanes, crazy thunder and lightning... living in the South has freaked me out.  Not to mention the tsunamis and earthquakes devastating the earth of late.  My biggest fear growing up in the Northwest was a dust storm.  Or snow.  Nowadays when I am stressed my dreams are filled with massive tsunamis, or tornadoes, or huge waves that slam against the hotel and leave me frantically grasping for my children.

The weather is unpredictable, uncontrollable and crazy powerful. So are germs.  And all kinds of "bugs" can wreak havoc on our lives.  Most of my biggest fears are things I cant control--so I suppose it's really "having no control" that is my fear.  Not being able to control what happens to me and my loved ones.  (Not sure how soda fits in to this analogy except that I want to control what my kids drink:) So I guess this is where my faith is put to the test.  All of these things can happen. The question is whether or not I can trust that God wont just "keep me safe" but that He knows what is best.  Even if a bee flies into my ear.  Even if I get food poisoning. Even if my kids drink soda. And even if I should be swept away by a massive wave.  Can I trust that in everything--not just what I cant control but even what I can and do try to control, is better in His hands? That's the real struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment