Tonight piano started for the winter quarter and I think I am more excited than the girls. As adults both Nate and I wish we had learned to play instruments as kids. We have a number of friends who play piano, guitar, drums or more and they have all mentioned on different occasions how grateful they are that their parents made them stick with it.
We also have spoken with a number of parents whose kids take music lessons and every one of them have said that it was worth the money and the effort. A friend and piano teacher had her kids take piano thru elementary school and by middle school band her kids were skilled enough to pick up any instrument if their choosing. Nate and I have seen the value of being able to play music in the lives of our friends.
So we have made a decision. We have made music lessons a mandatory part of learning during the school years. As tough as it may be to keep them interested and practicing, we feel they will be rewarded in the end.
I am so with you on this! Nathan and I have said the same thing exactly and (and heard the same from musician friends) hope to do the same for Marlo as soon as she's old enough.
ReplyDelete