Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 2012

Eventually, though life may try to lull you to sleep, you have to admit there are dragons in the world. And dragons need people to slay them. ~Jon Acuff


I love my life...I have been blessed with a wonderful husband who has stuck with me thru all of my crazy shenanigans, and with two beautiful daughters who get me out of bed each morning. My life is full of love, happiness, good friends, and comfort.  And I am thankful.  I am more than aware that I am living the dream.  But I am bored. Not bored in the traditional sense of having nothing to do....but bored in the sense of "there has got to be more to life than what Im doing."  So I started looking around at the people I admire who are "doing something" and motivating others in the process. And I have been inspired.


I married into a rather creative family.  My husband is a former DJ/Hip-Hop producer who started his own video production company, Dustbrand Films after seeing success in the music group Mars Ill. My sister-in-law, over at hula seventy, has taken her love of photography and inspired others in such a way that she now teaches workshops and writes for different venues about her unique style. Her husband is an animator/illustrator who has most recently been illustrating children's books (see The Ward-O-Matic and be amazed:) And my husband's brother is a Fine Artist living in Queens, NY.  I have been most inspired by their collective desire to use the gifts and talents they have been given to do something.  So often we have these great gifts that we put on the backburner because life gets in the way and we need to pay the bills and, dont get me wrong, that stuff is really important.  But there is something admirable about not allowing fear and pressure and the opinions of others steal your dreams.  The idea of having such a passion inside of you that you are willing to risk great things to accomplish it is motivating and encouraging to me.

I am also completely inspired by ordinary people following their hearts and using their lives to make a difference in the lives of others.  I composed a list of links to the right of my personal heroes for the moment.  The list will grow, I am sure, but right now these people stepping up and doing something courageous for others regardless of the outcome for themselves, humbles me.  Their willingness to go out on a limb, motivated by a pure desire to help another human being, is awesome to me.  It reminds me that regardless of your creative gifts, every person is equipped with life experience enough to make a difference in another person's life.

So here I am, totally inspired by the lives around me, and motivated to do something.  Im tired of being lulled to sleep by the regular routine of life. Im ready to slay some dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment