Monday, January 16, 2012

There was a sticker on my collar bone...

when I looked in the mirror this morning.  This is not the first time I have found stickers stuck to my body, socks, shoes, coats, floors and mirrors.  One morning while changing out of my pajamas I felt something on my lower back and it was a sticker! How it got there during the middle of the night, or how long it had been there in general, I will never know. This also goes for the stickers I find stuck to my behind.

I am not sure if stickers are just a girl thing, or if all parents deal with this phase of childhood.  But I have found that my two daughters handle them completely differently.  Our oldest hoards them.  She has a drawer full of stickers that go way back to birthday parties and doctor visits from early childhood.  She uses one or two from each sheet she gets but then becomes sentimental and tucks them away. But this is typical behavior for her because she is a collector. Our other daughter is a use it or lose it type.  The package is opened and stickers are used immediately.  They are stuck to eyelids, cheeks, fingernails and the like.  Then, as quickly as it was opened, the sheet is discarded and winds up on her floor in a pile of craft debris.  Later, after she is done wearing the stickers, for the rest of the day and months to come they will be found mashed into the carpet, stuck to the bottom of shoes and socks, and clinging to dust bunnies of hair and crumbs.  Sticker residue will begin to appear on the hardwood floors, car seats, and side tables. And as quickly as I can clean it up it reappears.  Why, you ask? Because I keep buying them.

For some reason I have determined in my mind that the 30 minutes my kids spend playing with the stickers properly is worth the days and weeks spent finding and cleaning them up.  So for the remainder of their childhood I will continue to awaken and find stickers stuck to random parts of my body and clothes and furniture and car.  And that's ok with me if it keeps them busy.

Question: Do you find stickers in the strangest places?

1 comment:

  1. No stickers yet but I have found crumbs in my purse along with random toys. I love hearing how your two girls are so different.

    ReplyDelete